The third grade went on a field trip today and I was fortunate enough to go along with them. It was a very beautiful, old, rural farmstead and the children I think really enjoyed learning about this particular farm and how it looked and operated 200 years ago when it was founded. We made the marquis outside (!) before heading to our group's first stop, the blacksmith shop. This is one of the first buildings that would have been constructed, so they could make all of the tools necessary to then construct the barns, the house, wagons, etc..... I took a picture of the biggest bellows that I have ever seen and also you'll see the man who was doing the blacksmithing. He was really good, made it look easy, although I know it is a hard trade to learn. He made an 'S' hook that he said they would use many of on the farm. We were all impressed.
Friday, May 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment