Today was the annual New York State Chili Cookoff, held in the parking lot of the Events Center at Binghamton University. Sponsored by CHOW, our local foodbank, and Sodexho, the food service on campus, the goal is to raise as much money as possible for supporting CHOW and its programs. This year there were about 15 different individuals, groups and pairs that entered into the competition. Everyone must enter a Texas red chili, which can only be sauce and meat, no identifiable veggies like onions or peppers, and no beans of any sort. There is the freestyle chili that can basically be more like the traditional chili that everyone knows and loves. Let me just say that some 'chilis' were almost inedible, and did NOT resemble anything remotely like any chili I have ever consumed. As I type, I am waiting to hear from Dave in the next 30-45 minutes to see who won. Last year, team Cellar Dwellers came in 6th and actually received a plaque. Here's to hoping that they moved up in the standings this year!!!
Potter took charge of making this sign for display in front of the Cellar Dwellers canopy. I helped with the placement of everything, but Potter really did the rest. It is awesome!!
We made badges this year that we handed out with sticky tape for everyone to wear and promote our team. Yes, it is shameless, but they were popular!!!

The sign I made on a piece of plywood. Pat (one of Dave's colleagues and fellow chili affecionado) zipped to his house before the chili cookoff began, drilled holes in the top, then they hung the sign to the canopy. Sweet!!!


This year they had a dunk tank. Some poor undergrad sat, waiting to get pummeled. Molly and Potter both took shots at him and Potter actually hit the target dead on!!
The Blue Knight, of Blue Knight Chili. Ours was so much better than theirs!! Who puts apple in chili anyway?????

Ben getting interviewed by the DJ. When asked when he knew he was destined to cook chili, Ben responded 'when I was 2 or 3 weeks old, I just knew.' Classic!! A born natural!!


Sibling love after sampling chili, salsa, and having hot dogs for lunch!
In their glory!!!
2 comments:
This is always such a nice event. The Cellar Dwellers rule!
one day i will make it to one of these. one day...
Post a Comment