Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ding, dong, the swine is gone!!

The excellent news is that our entire family is back to health once again, I have not been to a doctor's office or lab in almost a week, and the kids have all been back to school, giving me a wee bit of free time. Whew!!! I managed to meet a friend at Barnes and Noble one morning for coffee and catching up, then today I spent about an hour in Potter's class during their math hour, doing, ummmm, a craft!!! I found this idea in a magazine and slightly altered it. I don't think I am the only one who wonders why our nation, for reasons unknown, totally skips over Thanksgiving and goes straight from Halloween to Christmas. Anyone have thoughts on that?? While you are mulling it over, you can see what the kids and I did for our craft. Potter and I painted a 'tree' (yes I know it looks more like a teepee) one day when he was home last week. Then, the kids all cut out a big number 4, wrote all the things that they are thankful for in their lives, and then we hung them on our 'Thankful for (four) tree'. They loved this!!! We don't give kids enough credit for what they think, and maybe we just don't ask them enough what they think. Some of the things that these kids were thankful for included books, family, imagination, freedom, and siblings. They then took my lead and made other decorations to go on our tree. It looks so awesome!! Then, feeling a little guilty about doing crafts during math time, I did 'assign' some math problems (related to the number 4 of course) and gave them a word puzzle to work on too. This was one of the best hours that I have spent anywhere in a long time. I can't wait to get back in there and do some fun December projects!!

No comments: