Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Earth Day Walk

In celebration of Earth Day on Tuesday, the kids and I went for a 1/2 hour walk around our block to collect garbage. I have to say that we are such a dirty and trashy society!! The kids each filled up a Wegman's grocery bag with tons of garbage. I think that we could have probably gotten more but we had some time constraints. It amazes me the amount and things that we found. Potter put a broom (!) in his bag along with an old sock and tons of empty bottles, and Molly found lots of wrappers and straws. We did go by a bus stop on Main Street and that produced a great deal of what we picked up. Why are there not more public garbage cans?? Isn't this something that would keep things cleaner? Anyway, the kids had a great time, at some points arguing over who got to pick up a certain piece of trash. They want to do this more often; how can you say no to that?


No comments: