Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fourth of July parade

We were right at the corner, near the National Archives building. We wanted to take the kids inside to see the Declaration of Independence (they all love the movie National Treasure) but sadly, the line to get in stretched around two side of the block. No way were we standing in that line, in the heat, and then most likely missing the parade. We took cool pictures of the outside of the National Archives, then found our spot, right at the beginning of the parade, on the corner of Constitution Avenue. The following are highlights of the parade. It was an experience that I am glad we had, most likely may not have again.

The front of the National Archives building had a huge grandstand (for all those hoity-toity muckety mucks) and had music going. It is a beautiful building.

The parade began with all four branches of the military each represented by a division of soldiers. It is a beautiful sight to see all the Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force servicemen. Rightfully they led the parade; they are the reason the United States stays strong. Thanks to all who serve or have served.

The 1776 re-enactors. I love these three cornered hats.

This man is touted to be the most 'realistic' Lone Ranger who currently performs. As is Silver.

Roller Derby chicks. They all had cool names on their jerseys.

Gigantic Fred Flintstone. Not sure what he has to do with our independence.

Super neat bicycles. One guy could stand on one foot and keep going. And it is a good 5 feet down from the seat.

The family of Hershey kisses, all represented. I totally approve of Hershey kisses, again, independence relationship escapes me.

Curious George goes to outer space. Working in DC might feel like outer space to some.

These guys were live (as in, they were real dudes standing on this float for probably 2 hours in the same pose) re-enacting the Iwo Jima flag posting. Truly made you proud to be watching.

When I saw this, I blurted out 'it looks like Easter threw up all over them.' The lady next to us thought I was hilarious. We laughed for a good 3 minutes. These dresses are, how do you say it, HIDEOUS!!!

Looks just the Michael J. Fox's delorean from Back to the Future. That is not the professor from the movie, though.

What parade is complete without the Anheuser-Busch horses, drivers and dalmation? The kids were flagging by this point - live animals helped out a lot to maintain interest.

1 comment:

Wendy Martinek said...

I cannot even begin to imagine how hot those women in the hoop skirts must have been!