Sunday, June 5, 2011

Visit to Mackworth Island

We spent Memorial weekend up in Maine with the Trippes. The kids, Laura and I made a trip to Mackworth Island, known for its school for the deaf and also for its fairy houses. This is an island accessible by a short causeway and with very limited parking. It was a rather overcast day when we went, not any trouble with finding a spot. The island has a walking/jogging/running trail around its perimeter (1.4 miles, we asked the guy at the information station) and several access points to the beach. The kids were most excited about seeing the fairy houses (and building their own), and it took about halfway around the island to get there. What we saw was more than we ever expected and I am sorry that I couldn't get a good shot of all the houses that were there; the topography would not have done the picture any justice at all. Suffice to say that there were already hundreds of houses, some of which I took pictures of, and by the end of the summer, Laura said that there would be no more walking space at all to even make another. I am so glad that we did this afternoon adventure, the kids totally loved it!!! (P.S. I know I do not have a picture of Potter's fairy house. It was getting late, the mosquitos were killer, and I didn't have it in me to tromp to the back of the forest to take a picture of his. Bad parenting award.)

Laura and Potter start the walk around Mackworth

Molly and Caleb checking out the beach from one of the walkway points


Big rock? I must climb it!!!

Bigger rocks? Bigger kid?? Must climb these too.

Molly is standing in one of the fairy houses that ended up being a huge teepee

Fairy house someone built onto the side of a tree

Huge fairy house with a gazillion shells

Caleb was SOOOOO proud of his fairy house!!!

Actual sign they put up near the fairy house forest

Alex's fairy house on a huge felled tree

Molly's fairy house

I just *love* that fairy houses are real to so many people!!

1 comment:

Wendy Martinek said...

What a lovely idea and what a lovely place. So much fun for kids and adults alike.