Monday, June 1, 2009

Raccoon in our backyard - early morning

This morning as the children were about to begin eating and I was setting the table, I noticed that a very large raccoon was running as fast as he possibly could across the backyard. He scampered up into one of three trees the kids climb in, but then he realized that he was too heavy for the branches to support his weight. The squirrels began freaking out over this huge invader!! As you may know, raccoons are mostly nocturnal, so evidently, he didn't get the memo that the sun was coming up and, duh, it was time to head home. There he sat in the tree looking pretty frantic, when he decided to run down the tree and over to the next one. He stayed in that tree for a few minutes then decided he wanted to be in the silver maple next to it where he could wedge himself in the crook of two large branches which he ultimately did. He did such a good job of getting up there to nap that I have not been able to get a good picture of him since. Hopefully, we'll see him make his escape later this afternoon, but I don't see myself letting the kids out there to play until I know he is gone. Do they still do a round of 13 rabies shots in your stomach??? That sounds none to fun to me!!!




No comments: