Sunday, May 2, 2010

NYS Chili cook off - Cellar Dwellers were awesome!!!

Saturday May 1st was the annual NYS Chili cook off, held at BU. Dave and a few friends decided to make this year number two that they'd participate. Competition chili is the Texas Red, which can only contain meat and sauce (I know, right, what kind of chili is THAT???), but Dave makes it so well, definitely spicy!! You can choose to make another chili that is more freestyle (you can put in beans, onions, you know, things that NORMAL people eat in chili), so Greg made his Cincinnati style chili for that. I love Greg's chili, must be the blend of seasonings that really do it for me, but whatever the mix, I just know I still have a tupperware of that in my fridge for later this week ;)

I was a judge this year (thanks Pat) for the salsa competition. Sadly, there were only 5 salsa entries this year, none of which were fruit based. One was almost totally inedible, but the one I liked best came in 2nd place and was the woman with the tent next to the Cellar Dwellers. She made homemade chips as well. Yummmmm!!!!

I decided to take over the PR for the Cellar Dwellers this year. If you don't know, the Political Science department is housed in the basement of their building, hence the name. They also decide to grow goatees for the event (Katja was smart to not join in on that aspect) which I expect as of now, 24 hours later, most have shaved off, except Dave. I came up with a stencil for the shirts, which I then used for the signage as well. Dave wanted a sort of gothic/underground sort of font, so I winged it and came up with something that totally fit what he had imagined. Whew!! I must say I was really excited with how well they turned out and of course, everyone spilled on theirs shirts, making them look more authentic.

Cellar Dwellers came in 6th this year for Texas Red and have a plaque to prove it!! Darn, I forgot to take a picture of that to post. Perhaps at a later date....

Dave and Greg putting the final touches of seasoning and heat in their respective pots

The whole gang!

Greg is ready to ladle the samples

Happy customers, who hopefully put their paperclips in our bucket!

Cellar Dwellers tent

Cellar Dwellers sign

Katja and Ben trying out the competition's chili

1 comment:

Wendy Martinek said...

The Cellar Dwellers rule!!!!!